Wednesday, August 7, 2013

3 Ways to Prevent Sautéed Greens from Clumping in the Pan


Sautéed greens can be an excellent addition to many dishes, not just for their health benefits, but also for taste. Sometimes though, they can sort of clump up in the pan making it pretty difficult to effectively use them in a dish. Have no fear! Check out "3 Ways to Prevent Sautéed Greens from Clumping in the Pan" below!

3 Ways to Keep Sautéed Greens from Clumping




1. Slice Greens into Thin Ribbons
My first trick is to chop the greens into very thin, short ribbons before adding them to the dish. I usually cut them in half through the stem, stack them on top of each other, and then cut them in half again along the length before slicing them crosswise into thin strips.
2. Add Greens as the Last Ingredient
I also add the ribbons as the very last ingredient and stir them gently into the rest of the dish as they start to wilt. This way, the ribbons wilt around the other ingredients as they cook instead clumping up. Because they're so fresh this time of year and because we've sliced them so thinly, they only take a few minutes to steam to perfection.
3. Don't Overload the Dish with Greens
And finally, although I am usually of the opinion that if some greens are good thenMOAR GREENS! are better, I have to restrain myself if I really want to avoid big clumps in my dish. When the proportion of greens is significantly greater than the other ingredients in the dish, those greens just tangle together in unavoidable clumps. I've found that a half bunch of greens is usually a good amount for an average dish that serves four to six adults.
These strategies aren't quite perfect. I still find myself teasing a few clumps apart as I'm serving — C'est la vie!
Do you have this problem with wilted greens too? What do you do?
(Image: Emma Christensen)




Original Article Here: http://bit.ly/16YpGi7

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More